---
What is Mother's Circle group?
It is an official "learning circle" group based off of the Power of Moms website. In a nutshell, it is a structured girls-night-out/book club/support group/motherhood course. We have set topics for each month and accompanying articles to read and questions to ponder, then we get together once a month and talk about it.
Initially I thought that participating in this group would be fun and interesting, but it has proved to be nothing short of life-changing. I have gathered so much strength and resolve from the women that I associate with. We are all very different, with different challenges and opinions, but spending an evening in each other's company always leaves me with a greater desire to serve my family better.
Often, in times past, I have left a "girls night out" with negative feelings--for myself, for life, for my choice to be a mother, etc. However, I always leave these meetings feeling motivated and validated and full of love for all other good women out there. As is not surprising, I share way too much information (and vow every month to be more quiet...) but everyone is gracious and good natured and we enjoy a camaraderie that is tangible. In the end, we have shared ideas, struggles and strength and we, often, talk about the Gospel of Jesus Christ which is the ultimate motivator for good. I have learned that "As mothers, we are not all in the same boat, but we are in the same ocean..."
[Wow. Doesn't that sound like a informercial? Sorry.]
[Wow. Doesn't that sound like a informercial? Sorry.]
If you are interested in doing a group, check out their website.
3 comments:
Hi Honey - This Mom's group seems to be just the thing that Sis. Beck has been trying to get us Relief Society leaders to do in Relief Society week day meetings - that is to do things that strengthen homes and families. If you can strengthen the Mom in her role, share experiences and testimony, and build her up, that is good! I'm impressed that these women have reached beyond their Church circle of women friends and are offering this to Moms around the world. Thanks for sharing - Love, Mom
How many mom's are in your circle? How did you "gather" the mom's you wanted to learn from? That sound selective, but if I do this, I really want it to be more than just visiting with girls I already do stuff with. I want to get some moms that will help me step up...
did the curriculum just do that for you and your friends??
I had to laugh when your mom posted "anonymously" That is so my mom:)
We have several different women who have expressed interest in the group and in coming, yet we usually have only about 10 show up (frequently 7-8 of the same with a few new people).
I am not the group leader. My friend, Jill, is the one who has headed it all up. She also set some ground rules like no complaining about husbands, no gossiping about other women, and all information shared is confidential. We try to make it a very safe place for each other.
But to answer your question: first of all Jill asked pretty much any woman she knew if they would be interested in coming to a group. But in the end we ended up with a gathering of women with whom I have a fair amount of contact (like in my ward or stake).
But no matter how much I have already interacted with these women in the past, there is something so vulnerable about motherhood and the work you do with your own children, that it works anyway.
I mean, you may already know that Sally has great hair, does fabulous crafts and sings like a professional, but do you know that she sobs every night because her five year old son "wants to be a girl" or her newborn cries for 6 hours straight every evening, or she is weighed down with guilt because she works part-time?
I have been amazed to discover my listening skills, my empathy skills, and my nurturing skills (all great mothering skills) grow as I participate in these meetings. It is like we are mothering each other.
Even gals who I, previously, have felt a little uncomfortable around in the past have become dear to my heart and I find myself thinking of them during the day ("I hope she's doing ok today with that newborn") and even praying for them.
It's surprising how well it works.
Post a Comment